Sunday, June 18, 2006

Train.. of thoughts!

saw my table..got reminded of how much fight i had to put to get into shape!! which led me to think abt my skills with tools- reminded me of iit workshops....and in a flash...i was back to my childhood.
those high castles.. those maids...all those people feeding me with silver spoons... :D.. on more realistic terms..i remember very little... only fleeting memories..and some stolen moments!! and then i thought about all those things that have shaped me into the person i am.. here are my top picks....

1) pepsi... not the cola.. the 50p, Re1 pepsi.. frozen coloured water..stored in packets :).. aah sweet bliss.. i still remember asking mum for Rs2 for Soya milk ( hated it...ewwww) and use it to buy this pepsi.. used to feel on top of the world then to have 2 on the bus..and 2 on the walk back home.. duh! :) red color was my fave..there was a milk version to it.. had it once a week as a treat! :)

2)Cadbury- i think this was a routine in most households..or a similar one atleast... i used to get a big bar of cadbury during exams..i was allowed to eat one piece..or two..depending on the size of that block..each day..i remember savoring every second that the cadbury was in my mouth.. somehow, chocolates dont have the same impression on me anymore, nor do i feel any cravings for them now! familiarity..they say..breeds contempt!!

3)Frooti- as a kid.. it was deeply ingrained into me..that fizz was bad!! dont ask me why.. i hate fizz again now..but its outta choice..anyway.. frooti and maaza were the only soft drinks for me.. i loved/still love the green tetrapack of frooti.. it reminds me of home..comfort..etc etc.. dont ask me why! but thats just it!

4)Cheap games- hide and seek... langadi(hahaha.i used to play the throw-stone-do-weird-stuff- pick-stone-get-back-to-home-base games..and i really enjoyed it.. ).. seven stones (classic)... jolly..mafai..thumsup.. chain.. heaven(was a paper game!!), maarampeeti,i-spy (also called ice pice :)) ) .. playing some level of sword fight with the buds of the gulmohar tree.. looting kites (i was like a little tramp..running all over the roads..looting kites..for a really long time..i could not fly them and those were the best kite flying seasons of my life!!!)..and generally fooling around! i see kids now.. and i think they have a more complicated routine life!! and i feel bad for them ..

5)Cricket... most indian kids.. esply the guys are made to play cricket at an early age.. why?? cos it simply is religion in india.. i lost a blue bat.. a brand new one..and i remember crying forever.. and searching like mad all over the playground..before going home..and sheepishly admitting to losing it.. expected a tough talking down..but just got a "are you alright" lecture... and just when i was feeling better... i was blasted.. hehe :)

6)Potato Fry- yummm!! need i say anymore?? :)

7)Learning to ride a bicycle- Not a common experience.but i had a blast.it gave me my freedom. my wheels :)..and i had plenty of accidents.. i started off with a huge cycle..and boy.. did i have some nasty falls... i first realized then..that a knock on the balls..can be really really really painful! that horizontal rod on hero ranger- arrgh...nearly made me give up my manhood!! :)

8)The first kiss.... it was so divine..and so pure.. and so unexpected..and so special!! ppl who know me will say cha... and i will agree :)).that didnt happen till way later!

9) DD cartoons-god level.. jungle book,spiderman, giant robot ( this had no particular timings .. made it all the more special), vikram vikram vikram..betal betal betal :)),
PS: also remember those agro serials on DD?? i thght they were the worst max..but in hindsight they were probly the most informative on DD then!!!

10)Throwing milk down the drain routine- I hated milk on a few days..and could never ever get myself to have it.. no matter how hard i tried on those days..had to devises ingenious ways to dispose it off..and no..am not revealing it here!!

how did these things mould me?? i dont know ..i figure that since i remember them..they must have had some meaning in my life..eh?? :))so long.. hope this post gets the kid out in you! Go have a cassata ice-cream on me :)

14 Comments:

Blogger RainThots said...

Swell post da. :) Brought back loads of really really old memories... some good, some funny...

:) Hmm.. reminded me of this ghazal by Jagjit Singh... 'Woh kagaz ki kashti"... Always brings tears to my eyes.

Love this post. :)

Monday, June 19, 2006 6:25:00 AM  
Blogger Sai K said...

good one ra! :)

btw, i'd hv that casatta ice cream on you, if only u cud gimme ur credit card no. :D anyways, more when we talk...

Monday, June 19, 2006 7:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm pepsi..hahahahaa...if i start wrting abt my cheap thrills..junta will get shocked hahaha

Monday, June 19, 2006 9:11:00 AM  
Blogger Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

:) back with a bang, are u ???? :)

:) @ "langadi" & "ice pice": cudnt help but think of days left far behind. we also had this "vish-amrit" and "tippi tippi top top, what color u want want" games!!!!

throwing milk down the drain too was a regular habit. i even threw green vegetables in the lawn when noone was watching.

the post sure brought back many memories :)

Monday, June 19, 2006 10:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

U have to pick through this site ... blast from the past ...
http://www.vishalpatel.com/index.htm

Monday, June 19, 2006 2:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adding on the the previuos post ... esp the "More ads from 1980's" and "The Giant Robot Page! "

Monday, June 19, 2006 2:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this one was super! cadbury chocs and cartoons on DD brought back wonderful memories ra :) looking back, i feel like they were so spl coz they were so rare...there is something about limited access... :)

anita

ps: i used to put topi on you and steal your share cadbury chocs....was sooooo fun! ;)

Monday, June 19, 2006 4:49:00 PM  
Blogger Hitchcock said...

@GB- for all the naatak you did.. u really liked it eh :) by the way.. what ghazal is this?? this post reminds me of tanha dil!!! :) all nostalgic moments remind me of the song!! and my loneliness!

@saik- credit card..maxed out..cassatta kaadu kaani..u wont get small pepsi also :)

@anil- i think u shuld not write abt ur dog wala incidents.. red cross/ blue cross will be baying for ur blood!

@moi- thanks! u are one step ahead of me eh!! veggies in the lawn? haha :)i didnt play those other two games that u put up..tell me the next time we meet :D

@tyler- too much site.. haha.. :)

@ani- i agree.. too much of anything is bad!! and do we have to talk abt all the topis that u put on me?? ppl think i am a fruit as it is!! :)

Monday, June 19, 2006 6:57:00 PM  
Blogger Jas B said...

Frooti: My favorite drink. No mango drink can taste the same.

Cadbury chocolates: My friends had spoilt me rotten, they used to get me those so very often.

Pepsi/cola/fizzy drinks: I hated that feeling after consuming carbonated drinks, never liked any cola flavor either, don't drink any to date.

Milk: I hated it till I came to N.America. Now i can have cold milk with my cereal. Hot milk...I puke just at the thought of it.

Cheap games: played them all, also the ones that Swati mentioned. I liked dodge ball the best.

Cricket: I was a cricket fanatic. My mom hated me for it as I would consider board exams dispensable, but not cricket. We had our orderly buy cricket cork balls for us without the knowledge of my parents. The moment they were out, we devils would bring out our paraphernalia. We destroyed her lawn, her garden and her sweet peas!

Bicycle: I never used to brake. And then one day I banged ino a stationary truck, and I thought it was a good time to start using them!

cartoons: Jungle book, Vikram-vetaal, duck tales, friendly neighbourhood Spiderman, He-man!I watched them all...even as a grown up!

....brings back so many memories of childhood. I had an excellent one and I want to revert back to being a little kid who believed that Daddy can put all problems to rest..

Excellent post, Anurag. Thanks for helping bring back those memories....

Monday, June 19, 2006 8:37:00 PM  
Blogger R said...

No enthu to comment now on the post. Hope you are having fun at Austin.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 6:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoa!!! jas wrote a whole new post up here! and ur replies r too lengthy as well! :P and abt me not getting even a small pepsi, mamaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! tu ich aisa bolenga to kaisa mamu?

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 8:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome post:)

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 9:07:00 AM  
Blogger Hitchcock said...

@jas- interesting childhood- sweet pea, big garden and all.. damn pampered eh?? :D.. i hit a stationary truck too.. but that was cos i was racing someone on the other side of the road..and i went kapooot ..hahahaha

@rahul- awesome fun... good food..nothing like a didi to pamper ra!! :)

@saik- paisa khatam re..thats why am at world bank :))

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 9:15:00 AM  
Blogger Hitchcock said...

@megha- thanks! :)

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 10:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home