Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Chi-Land

Having resided for over 3 years now in Chicago....a good part of it as a happily married man, I feel a post about Chicago is long overdue. What better time to write about my life here than just before the longest season of the year - yep, you guessed right, winter!

My experiences in Chicago can be classified into three neat packages - winter-related, fitness-related and culture-related.

Weather-related
Year 1 - Blissfully unaware that winter's long - very long... thought winter lasted until December, like in South India...
Year 2 - Enjoyed the brief summer more knowing full well what was in store next. More bearable winter, especially as Gunjan hated it more than I did... Sadist! Also the year that Humpty-Dumpty (me) fell on ice!
Year 3 - Forced to venture out at least thrice a day in winter.. thanks to Yuki. Laziness overcame coldness and I ventured out in sub-zero weather in shorts and flip-flops.
Year 4 - Laughing at newbies wearing their coats.. Really, in November? Wuss!

Fitness-related
Year 1 - Ran a half-marathon and a marathon. Was in the best physical form of my life.
Year 2 - With marriage came all the yummy food and then some. Ran another half; and almost killed myself running a marathon (severe heat, not obesity, yet!!)
Year 3 - Cometh the paunch and the routine dialogues about how my clothes started shrinking in the new laundromat.
Year 4 - This is where we come full circle...Back to the gym and back to awesomeness! Baby, the donut, please!

Culture-related
Year 1 - Culture? What culture, me Neanderthal - me no like culture.
Year 2 - Ok, will wear clothes at home and bathe once a day. But, consider it a favor, wifey!
Year 3- Temple has best Indian food in Chi-land. Need to re-embrace Indian culture some more.
Year 4- Shave and get a haircut regularly, maybe?

Love the city and love the life I am living by the lake. Go Chi.

3 Comments:

Blogger RainThots said...

Cutey! Love you, Yuki and Chicago! :) Go Chi!

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 10:42:00 PM  
Blogger RainThots said...

P.S. - No more Godiva Cheesecake and Coldstone for you. Am wondering if I should also ban murukku, alu fry and gratin :D

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 10:44:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Great Blog :-)

Saturday, March 13, 2010 7:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home